Cairo NY Land Septic Water. This .34 Acre parcel is just a minute drive to Main Street in Cairo. Septic and town water available with driveway in place and electric on the road.
Cairo NY Land Septic Water
Cairo NY Real Estate, includes Acra, Gayhead, Purling, Round Top, South Cairo, South Durham and the Catskill Creek. Round Top is close to the village of Cairo and an area that attracted individuals of German descent and spawned several well known resorts. Cairo is a town in the center of Greene County, bordered on the east by the Towns of Athens and Catskill to the south by the Town of Hunter to the west by the Towns of Jewett and Windham and to the north by the Towns of Durham and Greenville.
According to the U. S. Census for 2000, the town has a total area of 60.1 square miles and a population of 6,355, 97% white. The median income for a household in the town was $35,995. The per capita income for the town was $19,407.
The Town of Cairo, which formed from Catskill, Coxsackie and Freehold or Durham, March 26, 1803, lies at the foot of the Catskills, the mountains forming the west boundary. Patents had been issued for all of the lands of this town before the Revolution, but it is doubtful whether any of these had been occupied by actual settlers before James Barker, who came in 1765.
With the end migration to this district, principally by those who were after hemlock bark for tanneries. Curiously out of the destruction of so many trees for their bark, grew a new industry, which has left its name forever on one of the streams of the neighborhood shingle making. (Shinglekill) The only sizable settlement in the town is the village of Cairo. Cairo has a history of drawing visitors going back to the 1800’s.
Cairo was one of the first towns in the area to develop ski slopes and trails and tourism has been its largest “industry” since the 1800’s. From 1800 the Susquehannah Turnpike, a private toll road, ran through the town. The Cairo Railroad represented the incursion by the young Catskill Mountain Railroad into the freight business when the branch was chartered on April 10, 1884. The directors of the CMRR saw the Cairo extension as a means of tapping business in bluestone, hay and fruit. Shale rock would represent a major portion of the CMRR’s freight revenue until the shale brick plant closed in 1914.
Improved transportation modes were reducing travel time between the New York City area and the Catskills. Tourism increased as a result. The area, already made famous by artists, authors, and poets would begin to see a seasonal boom to supplement its agricultural base. Many hotels and boarding or “rooming houses” were either established or expanded.
Cairo NY showed this pattern continued until the early 20th century, which marked the gradual decline of horse-drawn transportation and its replacement, by the automobile. The “horseless carriage” would forever change the way Americans lived and tourist destinations like Cairo would benefit from this newfound mobility. But this proved fatal to the local railroad industry and the Cairo Railroad would close after the 1918 summer season. Iron from the railway was used for the efforts of America’s First World War. Visitors now arrived in individual autos, spawning the growth of filling stations and roadside souvenir stands.
Cairo NY Land Septic Water
The summer months continued to draw the crowds to the long-established Cairo Fair. Farmers, still active in their agricultural pursuits, were finding the additional income from providing boarding space very beneficial, and eventually some gave up farming altogether and expanded into full-fledged resorts, such as Glenbrook Farm in the hamlet of Round Top.
When the Second World War finally concluded, returning soldiers found a robust and growing home front. Larger families led to creation of expanded services and improved tax base. Even the scattered rural hamlets of Cairo remained active, enjoying the economic benefits of a population that would often double in the summer months.
Many new boarding houses were built during this expansion by now well established Italian and German families. A strong Chamber of Commerce developed. The town supported two all-night diners, a movie theater, department store, and other specialized outlets. Even proprietors of duplicate services shared and propered in this market.
The early 1950’s saw the establishment of a small strip mall on the outskirts of the village. A few years later a divided state highway project was completed, paralleling the original State Route 23 (now renamed 23B). Some cherred the removal of heavy truck traffic through the village. Others declared it the death knell of the community’s business. Hindsight now tells us the outside forces, such as the influx of large franchise retailers, were working to diminish the effectiveness of traditional “mom and pop” businesses, even then.
The face of tourism was also changing. Contemporary visitors wanted valued-added features. Vacation options were expanding with competitive travel sites and the establishment of large amusement parks, casinos and other attractions.
The 1980’s marked a new period of infrastructure improvements and new growth. Constant during the town’s 200 plus years, have been its natural beauty and the friendly nature of its inhabitants.
For more information on Cairo NY Land Septic Water call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the Town of Cairo click here.
For more information on Greene County click here.
- Price: $4,500
- Property ID: 4862
- Town Taxes: 62
- School Taxes: 79
- Prop. Class: Vacant Land
- Town: Cairo
- Contact Agent: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker