Claverack Land 61 Acres Catskill Views 12521

Claverack Land 61 Acres Catskill Views. With easy access to the Taconic Parkway this property is open land with barns, but mostly wooded. The long drive leads to site with Catskill Mountain Views.

Claverack Land 61 Acres Catskill Views.  With easy access to the Taconic Parkway this property is open land with barns, but mostly wooded.  The long drive leads to site with Catskill Mountain Views. 

Claverack Land 61 Acres Catskill Views

Claverack NY homes for Sale land includes the village of Philmont and the hamlets of Churchtown,  Hollowville, Martindale and Mellenville.   Claverack New York real estate is at the center of Columbia County.   The City of Hudson (formerly referred to as Claverack on the Hudson) and the Town of Greenport are to the west.   The Town of Ghent is to the north, the Town of Hillsdale is to the east and the Towns of Livingston and Taghkanic are to the south.

The town of Claverack  is centrally located in Columbia County, east of the city of Hudson.   The population was 6,021 at the 2010 census.    The racial makeup of the town was 93.95% White, 3.31% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.36% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.78% from other races, and 1.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.47% of the population. The median income for a household in the town was $41,647, and the median income for a family was $50,175. Males had a median income of $32,896 versus $23,925 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,848.

The town name is a corruption for the Dutch word for “Clover Fields” or “Clover Reach”.    According to one version, the name “Claverack” is a Dutch term, signifying a clover reach or field and, according to one tradition, was applied by Henry Hudson during his voyage up river in 1609 when the explorer noted vast fields of white clover covering the landscape.   Yet by another account, the real origin of the name is unknown.   However, the early mariners that sailed from New Amsterdam (New York City) to Fort Orange (Albany) divided the river into raks or reaches.   A reach was the distance a ship could sail in one day.   This part of the Hudson River was called Claver Rak (or Reach).   The word “Clavers” also appears on the 1799 Penfield map and may have referred to physical marks that existed on the landscape.

Claverack Land 61 Acres Catskill Views

In 1705, the first discovery of a mastodon tooth occurred here.  The Town of Claverack, incorporated in 1788, sits in the middle of beautiful Columbia County, with easy access to Albany, Boston and New York City.

There are just over 6000 residents spread out over almost 50 miles of the town, which makes us the second most populated township in the County.   Included in the township of Claverack is the Village of Philmont, which has its own municipal structure (www.philmont.org) and was incorporated in 1892.   We are proud of our rural, academic and industrial history and cherish the small town and rural atmosphere that is fundamental to our community.

Claverack was originally approximately 60,000 acres (24,000 ha) in area and was known as the Lower Manor of Rensselaer.   The town was formed in 1778 from the older “District of Claverack”.   In 1782, the town lost some of its land to the new Town of Hillsdale.   The town was reduced again in 1785 to form the city of Hudson.

In 1779 Washington Seminary was founded in the town by the local Dutch Reformed pastor.   Prominent former students at the school include U.S. President Martin Van Buren.   In the nineteenth century the school was renamed Claverack College, and it closed in 1902.   The many 18th century homes in the area include the 1786 William Henry Ludlow House.  The main street in the hamlet of Claverack has many historical buildings, including many stone and brick buildings.

The Town of Claverack sits in the middle of beautiful Columbia County, with easy access to Albany, Boston and New York City.   There are just over 6000 residents spread out over almost 50 miles of the town, which makes us the second most populated township in the County.   Included in the township of Claverack is the Village of Philmont, which has its own municipal structure and was incorporated in 1892.   We are proud of our rural, academic and industrial history and cherish the small town and rural atmosphere that is fundamental to our community.

For more information on Claverack land 61 Acres Catskill Views call 8800-398-8802.

For more information on the Town of Claverack click here.

Basic Information

  • Price: $299,000 
  • Property ID: 4762 
  • Town Taxes: 2470 
  • School Taxes: 4121 
  • Prop. Class: Agricultural 
  • Town: Claverack 
  • Contact Agent: David Birch 
  • Agent Title: Broker