Livingston Commercial TavernRoute 9. A former tavern, currently occupied as residence. Needs work but excellent location, including garage, on busy portion of Route 9 between Red Hook and Hudson.
Livingston Commercial Tavern Auction Route 9
Livingston NY Real Estate is the site of Olana, the Rockefeller’s Stone House Farm and the original Livingston Estate at the junction of the Hudson River and the Roe Jan Creek. It includes the hamlests of Bells Pond, Blue Stores, Burden, Glencoe Mills, Linlithgo and Livingston. It borders on Hudson, Greenport, Germantown and Claverack. Livingston New York real estate was the center of Columbia County when the original Livingston Estate was created.
According to the U. S. Census for 2000, the town has a total area of 39 square miles and a population of 3,424 people, 97% white. The median income for a household is $37,117 and the per capita income for the town is $22,434.
The territory which is now the town of Livingston was formerly a part of a tract of land extending from a point five miles south of Hudson, twelve miles along the river, and eastward to the Massachusetts line, about twenty miles. The general history of the great Livingston Manor has been narrated in early chapters of these volumes ; but it may be briefly stated here that the tract which constituted the original town was also covered by the Livingston patents constituting the Livingston Manor. The titles covering the tract were briefly as follows: An Indian purchase made July 12, 1683, by Robert Livingston, of 2,000 acres lying along the Hudson and Roeloff Jansen’s Kill, confirmed by a patent by Governor Dongan, November 4, 1684. A second Indian purchase by him of 300 acres of meadow land in Taghkanic territory, August 10, 1685, patent issued August 27 the same year. Last, a grant to Robert Livingston by Governor Dongan, July 22, 1686, of all the remaining and adjoining lands of what finally constituted the Manor, the entire tract containing about 160,240 acres. The Manor included the present towns of Clermont, Germantown, Livingston, Gallatin, Taghkanic, Ancram, and Copake.
The land grant for Livingston Manor was made in 1686 to Robert Livingston. The region was made a district in 1772 and the Town of Livingston was founded in 1788, being one of the original towns of the county. In 1710, the area was used to settle Palatine Germans.
Livingston Commercial Tavern Route 9
On March 24, 1772, Livingston was formed into a district and in 1786 became a part of the new county of Columbia, and was organized as a town on March 7, 1788. The territory of Germantown was purchased by Mr. Livingston in 1710, as a settlement for part of the Palatines. The town of Clermont was formed from the Manor in March, 1787, and Aucram and Taghkanic (then including the present towns of Copake and Gallatin), in March, 1803.
The town of Livingston was favored with water power which was of great benefit to the early settlers, as well as more or less profit to those who improved it. Mr. Livingston was prompt in establishing both a saw and a grist mill on Roeloff Jansen’s Kill, near its mouth, from which the Palatines were supplied with meal and flour, and lumber was provided for buildings. These mills were built about 1710 and were long known as the Manor Mills. They were in operation more than a hundred years, and a carding machine and fulling mill were operated at the same place many years. The power at that point was last used about 1820 in operating a shop for manufacturing ship tackle blocks. While Mr. Livingston was furnishing supplies for the Palatines he carried on a bakery and a brew house, all of which were sources of profit to him.
Its traditional agricultural functions have decreased in importance over the years, though several important orchards still operate. Because of its proximity to Hudson it has been the home to many professionals working in the city. Now it has an increasing influx of second home owners from the New York Metropolitan area.
Recently a small commercial district has begun to form with the arrival of the Hannaford Supermarket. But it remains a sleepy rural area not welcoming commercial development.
For more information on Livingston Commercial Tavern call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the Town of Livingston click here.
- Address: 3927 Old Rte 9, Hudson, NY 12534, USA
- Price: $175,000
- Property ID: 4690
- Town Taxes: 1147
- School Taxes: 2172
- Prop. Class: Commercial
- Town: Livingston
- County: Columbia
- Contact Agent: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker