Ancram Home 3 Acres Secluded Hall Hill Road. This 3BR2BA home with Cathedral ceilings and fireplace in LR also has a new oil fired furnace with multiple zones, a large deck, gardens and attached garage. Surrounded by wooded land and owned by absentee landlord, these 3 Acres with great privacy is located at 284 Hall Hill Road, a dead end road in Ancram.
Ancram Home 3 Acres Secluded Hall Hill Road
Ancram NY Real Estate includes Long Lake and Lower Rhoda, Ancramdale, Boston Corners, and Weed Mines and is located in the southeastern section of Columbia County. Ancram is a rural community in Southern Columbia County. It is close the Town of Pine Plains in Dutchess County. The City of Hudson is approximately 20 miles to the northwest, the City of Albany approximately 50 miles to the northwest and the City and Town of Poughkeepsie approximately 35 miles to the southwest.
Ancram is located in the southeastern section of Columbia County, just north of the Town of Pine Plains in Dutchess County. The population was 1,573 at the 2010 census. The racial makeup of the town was 97.69% White, 1.06% African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.13% Asian, and 0.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.93% of the population. The median income for a household in the town was $45,726, and the median income for a family was $47,708. Males had a median income of $31,196 versus $25,625 for females. The per capita income for the town was $22,541.
The town was named after Ancram (now ),Ancrum, Scotland. The first residents of Ancram New York were mostly farmers. They were brought from Scotland by the Livingston’s in 1740-1741. The town was founded in 1803, and was originally part of Gallatin. In 1814 Ancram separated from Gallatin and became an independent Town. The name was derived from the Livingston homestead in Anchoram, Scotland. Robert Livingston, first Lord of the Manor was the son of a Scotch clergyman, born in Anchoram, Scotland in 1654. The town comprises 27,000 of the total 160,000 acres the Livingston family had held from the initial grant by the English Crown in 1686.
During the revolutionary war the Ancram iron works was a source of armaments for both the Continental army and the British. It was in Ancram that iron was made for the cannon balls for the Continental artillery and the links for the great chain that was stretched across the Hudson River between Anthony’s Nose and Fort Montgomery, to keep the British fleet from sailing up the Hudson to attack West Point. The iron works became a paper mill in 1854 and still operates as a paper mill today. It is the longest continuously operating mill in New York State and one of the largest employers in Columbia County.
Ancram Home 3 Acres Secluded Hall Hill Road
By 1852, the railroads had come to Boston Corners. There were three, the Harlem, the CNE and the P&E. At this time, Boston Corners was still a part of Massachusetts, but was isolated from the State by the Taconic Range and was without any effective law enforcement.
The combination of access by rail and no effective law enforcement made Boston Corners a favorite spot for boxing, which was illegal at the time, and led to the great boxing match that lasted 37 rounds between “Yankee” Sullivan and John Morrisey. Ten thousand sports fans arrived by railroad and took over the small village for two days. Influenced by the chaos of this incident, the State of Massachusetts ceded Boston Corners to New York in May of 1853. Congress ratified the transaction January 1855 and the Town of Ancram annexed Boston Corners on April 13, 1857.
“Modern” dairy farming came to Ancram in 1875 when the railroad arrived in Ancram, providing access to the New York market for Ancram farmers as well. Stimulated by the ability to ship milk by rail to New York, more farmers focused on dairy farming and created the large dairy herds which have characterized farming in Ancram since the railroads arrived in the mid-1870’s.
Telephone service came to town in 1901. Electricity was brought to the Ancram Lead Mines (now Ancramdale) and Ancram in about 1924. In 1930, Ancram Lead Mines changed its name to Ancramdale. There were 14 district schools in Ancram that were centralized in 1930 with Roeliff Jansen Central and Pine Plains Central schools. The two-room schoolhouse in Ancram on Route 7 (District No. 10) remained in service under the Roeliff Jansen School system until 1968 when it closed. In 1975, this building became the Town Hall and Courthouse, and remained as such until the new Town Hall and Courthouse was built in 2003, and is now an antique shop.
For more information on Ancram Home 3 Acres Secluded Hall Hill Road call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the Town of Ancram click here.
For more information on Columbia County click here.
- Address: 284 Hall Hill Rd, Ancram, NY 12502, USA
- Price: $249,000
- Property ID: 5042
- Town Taxes: 841
- School Taxes: 335
- Prop. Class: Residential
- Town: Ancram
- County: Columbia
- Contact Agent: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker