Old Chatham 1760 Farm Estate. This 1760 Farm Estate is located on Albany Turnpike in Chatham, NY. The 3200SF 3BR4BA Colonial home has been authentically restored. With a 2 car garage including guest quarters, a large barn and annex, fenced in paddocks all on 20 acres with pool and pond.
Old Chatham 1760 Farm Estate
Chatham NY includes the villages of Chatham, East Chatham, Malden Bridge, New Concord, North Chatham and Old Chatham. We focus on luxury homes, new and affordable homes, farms, waterfront property, condominiums and attached homes, commercial property, two family and multi-family properties, vacant land, auctions and short sales, great deals and rentals. Home of the restored Crandell Theatre, Columbia County Fair, and Columbia County Film Festival, Chatham NY has become a main attraction of Columbia County. Chatham is bordered by the towns of New Lebanon, Canaan, Austerlitz, Ghent, and Kinderhook in Columbia County. Chatham is also popular for including the northernmost point of the Taconic State Parkway where it merges with a portion of Interstate 90 (commonly known as the Berkshire Spur).
The center of Old Chatham is marked by a few businesses around the intersection of the Albany Turnpike and County Rt. 13. These businesses include the United States Post Office for area code 12136, the Old Chatham Country Store (which includes a cafe/restaurant), and Jackson’s Old Chatham House (another restaurant). The Old Chatham Sheepherding Company is also located in Old Chatham. The Wilbor House, also known as The Thompson Farm, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
Chatham is a Town in Columbia County, New York. The population was 4,128 at the 2010 census according to Wikipedia.
The Chatham township is not to be confused with the Village of Chatham, which is a separately governed and maintained municipality that is geographically within both the Town of Chatham and also the Town of Ghent.
The territory comprising the town of Chatham is made up in the western part of a portion of the Kinderhook patent and other smaller grants, and the eastern section belonged to the domains of the Van Rensselaer patent. The Patroon had never caused the boundary lines of his estate to be surveyed until some years after settlement had begun by squatters. As a result, contention arose, not only between the settlers and the Patroon, but also between the legal tenants under both grants, and the squatters, who claimed the lands under sovereign rights, or by right of possession.
The town was erected on March 17, 1795, taking about equal portions from Canaan and Kinderhook. In 1813 portions were set off in forming the towns of Ghent and Austerlitz, still leaving it the largest town in the county, its superficial area being 31,703 acres. It is bounded on the north by Rensselaer county, on the east by New Lebanon and Canaan, on the south by Austerlitz and Ghent, and on the west by Kinderhook.
Old Chatham 1760 Farm Estate
The first settlers of the territory now included in this town were almost exclusively Hollanders. Many who had first taken up their abode in Kinderhook, removed farther east and north, particularly the generation succeeding the first corners sought locations in the fertile valleys and on the hill slopes in Chatham, to establish homes for themselves and their children. They were a sturdy, vigorous people, and from the days of their settlement until now have been noted for their energy, high moral standard and prominence in the civil affairs of the county.
The Rutland Railroad had a major hub in Chatham for many years that brought travelers to and from the New York City area, the Boston area and New England, the Albany and greater Capital Region, and even further into central New York. Contradictory of its current condition or image, Chatham, in fact, was an industrial center of multiple inter-state rail lines in the early 1900s. The village was a hub of the New York Central, Boston and Albany, and Rutland railroads, with three wyes and one roundhouse.
Chatham Village has only one traffic light; right turn on red is allowed at that intersection during off peak hours. It has 49 stop signs, 11 yield signs, and one traffic circle. Previous to the NYDOT renovations, cars driving in the traffic circle on Main Street yielded to cars entering the circle, which is an unusual traffic pattern. This pattern was changed to be in compliance with NY state traffic laws in 2008.
Chatham NY is home to the Crandell Theatre which was built in 1926 by Chatham NY native Walter S. Crandell. Chatham is host to the Columbia County Fair: Late August-Early September. Other events at the fair grounds include an Auto Show, a 4th of July Celebration, a Civil War Reenactment in the Summer and the Fire Fighters parade.
Chatham is also popular for including the northernmost point of the Taconic State Parkway where it merges with a portion of Interstate 90 (commonly known as the Berkshire Spur). Popular state routes include SR 66, SR 203, and SR 295, and county roads include CR 9, CR 13, CR 17, CR 28, and CR 32. Many roads in Chatham are rural and even unpaved.
Within the entire township of Chatham, there are a number of smaller regions called hamlets that usually are only distinguished by having separate postal offices and occasionally may be zoned differently.
- East Chatham: On the eastern portion of the Town and connecting with the adjacent Town of Canaan.
- Old Chatham: One of the earliest settlements in the Town, in the northeast part of the Town and above East Chatham.
- Malden Bridge: A small area further north of Old Chatham and remembered for its bridge that crosses over Kinderhook Creek.
- North Chatham: West of Malden Bridge and taking up the northwest corner of the Town, adjacent to the Towns of Kinderhook and Nassau (Rensselaer County)
- Chatham Center: In the central part of the Town below Malden Bridge/North Chatham and connecting to the Village of Valatie to the west in the adjoining Town of Kinderhook.
- The Village of Chatham: Below Chatham Center and East Chatham, partly contained within the southernmost part of Town but mostly contained within the adjacent Town of Ghent.
For more information on Old Chatham 1760 Farm Estate call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the Town of Chatham click here.
For more information on Columbia County click here.
- Address: 1417 Albany Turnpike, Chatham, NY 12037
- Price: $775,000
- Property ID: 4857
- Town Taxes: 6658
- School Taxes: 9204
- Prop. Class: Residential
- Town: Old Chatham
- County: Columbia
- Contact Agent: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker