Stephentown New Lebanon Hancock Land 72 Acres. An intriguing parcel located in 3 towns of Stephentown, NY; New Lebanon, NY; and Hancock, MA. With building sites in Massachusetts and New York it is very private, mostly wooded, and a great recreational property.
Stephentown New Lebanon Hancock Land
Stephentown is one of the most picturesque in the county or within a radius of many miles, rivaling the famed Berkshire hills of Massachusetts. Hills, many of them rocky and precipitous, abound everywhere. The Taghkanic mountains traverse the eastern part of the town and the Petersburgh mountains the western part, both extending in a northerly and southerly direction.
Stephentown is a town in Rensselaer County, New York. The population was 2,903 at the 2010 census.
The north border of Stephentown is shared with the Town of Berlin, the east town line is the border of Massachusetts, the south town line is the border of Columbia County and the west border is shared with the Town of Nassau. According to the U. S. Census for 2000, the town has a total area of 58.1 square miles. The median income for a household is $43,506 and the per capita income for the town is $18,822.
The town is in the southeast corner of the county, and has a sign proclaiming it to be the only Stephentown on Earth.
Stephentown was formed from Rensselaerwyck March 29, 1784, and named in honor of Stephen Van Rensselaer. In 1791 the town of Petersburgh was taken off, and in 1806 the size of the town was still further decreased by taking off parts of Nassau and Berlin. The town is in the southeastern part of the county. It is bounded on the north by Berlin, on the east by the State of Massachusetts, on the south by Columbia county and on the west by Nassau. In shape it is an equilateral quadrangle.
The town is one of the most picturesque in the county or within a radius of many miles, rivaling the famed Berkshire hills of Massachusetts. Hills, many of them rocky and precipitous, abound everywhere. The Taghkanic mountains traverse the eastern part of the town and the Petersburgh mountains the western part, both extending in a northerly and southerly direction. Through the narrow and deep valley between them the Black and Kinderhook creeks flow toward the south. There is very little level or lowland in the town, and some of the highest mountain peaks are nearly 2,000 feet above the level of the sea. A very large proportion of the town is covered by forests, and many of the hills are surmounted by bare rocks. The most mountainous sections are full of interest to the geologist, quartz, sandstone, limestone, slate, shale and other forms of stone being abundant. The entire district is wild and rugged, an ideal resort for a lover of the grander forms of nature. In the Taghkanic range the highest peaks are Round mountain, Butternut bill and Whitney hill; in the Petersburgh range they are Webster mountain and Brockway hill. The soil generally is best adapted to grazing, though in some parts of the valley it is moderately fertile.
Stephentown New Lebanon Hancock Land
Stephentown has an abundance of water-power, which formerly operated numerous industries. In late years, however, most of these have been abandoned and the manufacturing industries are small and few, the inhabitants being engaged principally in agriculture and stock raising. One of the first grist mills in the town was located in what was known as “Goodrich Hollow,” on the branch of the Kinderhook creek, where the earliest settlements were made. About 1800 a foundry and grist mill was built; at “the flats” a carding mill was located, and several additional mills were located nearby.
The Stephentown turnpike corporation was established by act of the Legislature April 3, 1801. Other turnpikes were the Western Union turnpike, passing through the town from Schodack Landing to Hancock, Mass., and the Eastern Union turnpike, which extended from Hancock, Mass., to Albany, by way of Sand Lake village. Road building and improvement began at an early day, but on account of the hilly and rocky nature of the town the good roads have been limited. The residents of Stephentown village, as well as those of the entire town, are engaged chiefly in farming. About 1876 seven manufacturing establishments existed in the village, but depression in business caused a suspension of operations.
Today Stephentown is a rural community with many residents commuting to Albany or Pittsfield for work. Second home residents are increasing, too, drawn in part by the popular Jiminy Peak Ski Area.
For more information on Stephentown New Lebanon Hancock Land 72 Acres call 800-398-8802.
For more information on the Town of Stephentown click here.
For more information on Rensselaer county click here.
- Address: Goodrich Hollow Rd, Stephentown, NY 12168, USA
- Price: $89,000
- Property ID: 5019
- Town Taxes: 752
- School Taxes: 674
- Other Taxes: 35
- Town: Stephentown
- County: Rensselaer
- Contact Agent: David Birch
- Agent Title: Broker